Pages

Tuesday 17 September 2013

Commission, new skill & stepping up

Set on point quilt

This is a commissioned baby quilt that I have a lot of fun working on.

Set on point quilt

Firstly it was my very first, but not the last set on point quilt.  I have always loved set on point quilts as it gives a simple block a whole new dimension.  I have avoided it because I didn't want to deal with the math of it but after reading through one of my quilting books, it was not as daunting as it seems to be.  Perhaps it was explained in a much easier way to understand in comparison to others that I have found to be too complicating.

Set on point quilt

Secondly, I wanted to step up and add to my quilting repertoire.  I was going to make a set on point quilt at some stage and so happened a commissioned baby quilt came along.  I thought it would make an excellent pattern choice for a simple, modern and cute baby quilt.

Set on point quilt

So I begun my journey with this quilt.  I started the design process by having a chat with my friend on what she was after, to whom this quilt was for and etc.  Then I proceeded to select a few gender neutral fabric bundles and came up with three different designs for selection.

HST quilt

Mary, my friend selected the fabric bundle Modern Bliss by Andie Hanna for Robert Kaufman which I have blogged about here.  I was most delighted when she selected this simple half-squared-triangle (HST) set on point quilt design.  It was my chance to have some fun and get my head around it.

The quilting stages went on pretty smoothly though I had to figure out to how I was going to do the sides with two half of a triangle instead of one, cutting on grain and orientating the side half triangles the right way.  My seam ripper were put to some good use during that stage.  However, I was not discouraged by it, instead I was in a 'fix it and figure it out' mood.

I have machine quilted this quilt in simple diagonal lines to further elaborate the set on point quality.  I wanted to keep the quilting simple and clean with minimal fuss to keep with the theme I have started out on.

Set on point

I have also kept the binding simple by using Happy Go Lucky Navy on White Jump.  The diagonal stripes further adds to the design of the the quilt and the print also picks up the scallop design of the fabric.  I love these little 'accidental' details that is picked up along the process.

binding

I have also hand stitched a label as I don't have any printed ones at the moment.  I do like the handmade feel it gives out and most importantly the last words 'Snuggle lots!'.  Don't you think this phrase is so appropriate for all quilts out there?  The more you snuggle, the better it gets!

Label

The quilt has been handed over to Mary and she was really happy with it.  I am really happy too with the outcome and it is one of my favourite quilt to date.  It's simple, cute and modern.

Set on point quilt

Quilting facts:
Baby quilt measuring approx 38" x 42"
Quilt top fabircs: F8 Modern Bliss bundle by Andie Hanna for Robert Kaufman, Emma Louise in White & Bella Solids in Feather
Quilt backing fabric: Woodland in Pine by Sarah Watson for Art Gallery Fabrics
Binding: Happy Go Lucky Navy on White Jump by Bonnie & Camille for Moda Fabrics
Batting: 100% cotton

Thank you for stopping by!
xx

4 comments:

  1. What a fun quilt, Jacqueline. I noticed how perfectly your half-triangles around the edges look but hadn't though to the challenge of changing the grain so they wouldn't be stretchy on the edge. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so in love with this quilt. The binding is absolutely perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such lovely quilt!... and your label is personal and well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilt - the label is lovely.

    ReplyDelete